Martial Arts

Like I said before, I never understood how disparaging other styles makes one's own better.

If you were to read more of the website with an open and questioning mind you’d likely notice that the guardian warrior stuff is not a martial art. This has nothing to do with “disparaging other styles” or becoming a “god” at combat through some “special technique”. In that article Tamarack Song is comparing apples and oranges. He’s not saying “my style is better than all those others”, he’s saying “this is fundamentally different than that, and here’s why”. The guardian warrior website is not about martial arts (though there is some crossover with a few aspects of what one might find in the more outside-the-box arts such as Ninjutsu). The essay by Song on martial arts is explaining a big part of why they’re different.

I still think it is a valid question though....where exactly did he see a non-human do a wrist strike?

It would be a valid question if it was posed in an open and honestly curious spirit (rather than an argumentative one), and if it addressed what Song actually wrote. As you yourself quoted him, Song wrote:

“When I observe the basic stances and movements being taught in martial arts classes, I see what is learned naturally by moving through natural environments.”

He doesn’t say anything about the movements of non-humans here, he’s talking about what we learn by moving through natural environments ourselves. He’s also talking about basic or core movements, not the details of specific and minute technical ones.

Respect is earned, and I don't know/haven't read/never really heard of this dude Song, so I have very little respect for him.

So you disrespect those you don’t know? You say you don’t disparage styles, but you disparage people? What martial tradition teaches that? All the martial artists and native teachers I ever studied with have taught honor and respect always (even for enemies, and especially for the unknown).

I'm not trying to be a dick, but my time is too important tome to waste it on mincing words.

Respect does not take more words than disrespect. And in my experience, disrespect often gets one embroiled in all kinds of messiness and conflict that tends to waste quite a lot of time.

no, but i don't go train for a year straight either. I don't really see how the two go together, but I imagine you were going with the "woods are my dojo, therefore sacred". I get you. Nothing profane about drinking ocasionally, IMO.

At the Teaching Drum, yes, training is for a year (but not in martial arts). There is no break from training, since it is one’s everyday life through all four seasons. And this involves the whole person, not just a part of him or her. That’s why the request to leave the substances behind. It actually has nothing to do with ideas about what’s “sacred” or “profane”. Those are your assumptions.

Probably am assuming I wouldn't be welcome, but don't have an interest to go anyway.

You would definitely be welcome. But yeah, not being interested kind of makes that irrelevant.

The essay, to me, seemed like it was written by someone with little martial arts experience. I have found that alot of the “differences” he propounded to be made up differences. Like the whole section about “stand up one on one” fights. Sure that is the competition style, but not that many people take “competition style” martial arts anymore. Only a fool thinks his enemies’ friends aren’t going to stab him in the back. Only a fool thinks a real fight is between only two people. Only a fool thinks that violence is the only conflict resolution strategy. We never trained for competition, we trained to protect ourselves and others. there is a very large difference, one that Song glosses over.

Edited Reason: I was being an asshole.

We’ll you’re right on that point, as far as I know Tamarack has no experience studying the martial arts. Still, from my own perspective (I’ve studied quite a number of arts for many years) I think the core of what he’s saying is valid, especially in relation to the mainstream of martial arts practice in America.

I’m surprised to find that you think the differences seem made up, since from my experience of doing both martial arts and a year of study in the wilderness with Song, they touch on my reality. But from what you mentioned earlier it seem this stems more from the idea that his “differences” would apply to anything (let me know if I’m wrong on that) and so would include what he’s advocating as well. From my experience these “differences” do apply to pretty much everything one does in civilized society, but they don’t apply to what he’s trying to advocate about the guardian path. And as I see it, just because the differences he notes apply to something doesn’t make that thing “wrong” or worthless, it just makes it different from what he’s advocating.

So where would you guys point me if I want to learn how to defend myself, don’t want to have to be super dedicated to it week after week, not wanting to be caught up in ‘formal rituals’ and junk, and just basically want to have more confidence in myself should something bad occur?

Jeet Kun Do sounds really cool, and there is one relatively close to me. I also really like the sound of Aikido, except for all the costumes and formality and shit.

Alright! I made a page on "Body Skills" for the wiki, which focuses on the use of center. For now.

Cool beans bro. Cool friggin beans.

I’ve been thinking alot about the center, and I view it as my ‘third eye’, like the serene eye of a storm or the heart of a galaxy from which all energies originate and expand and amplify and arc and spiral.

Very useful tool.
Focus locus!

Oh, and say hi to the owl for me, assuming you didn’t use it for firewood. It’s name is ‘Spinifex’ and we spent alot of time together.

Great! Glad you appreciate it, through the long waves of cyberspace. :slight_smile:

The owl currently hides in the yard next to the ancestor’s little house. he seems to get along with them. I’ll tell him you said hi.

hey all! nice seeing other people getting in tune with themselves (mind/body). Me and my friend are practicing Jiu-jitsu and Training various other fighting techniques. Actually since we started doing this i can say we’ve inspired some other people to look into their own lives for ways of getting to know their body/minds (i need a word for the whole thing bc im not a native english speaker and cant seem to find any, which is disturbing) While not all are into the martial ways, there are many paths to getting into a better MIND/BODY set.

I have also trained JUDO for some 9 or 10 years or something, but as i reached my 14-15 year of age, i started feeling lost and drank heavily until recently. So im kind of a young recovering alcoholic. But i found behind alot of the negativity that was fueling my addicitions there was also the much bigger and much more real kindof love for myself and my mind/body which i felt getting damaged, and to be honest i didnt wanna give those in power such an easy time of getting rid of me. So now i train, i learn, im feeling much better, much more ready., much more aware.

thanks