Challenege for March

Dan, you win. I wonder if there some sort of badge or something we could put on your profile saying you won the March challenge.

A couple of days before my planned DoF, I got an emergancy call from a friend who is a scout master for the local troop. He had his other leaders cancel on him for an overnighter up the mountain, and the scouts were really looking forward to going. Could I come? I thought this was perfect. There was still a lot of snow up there and that would make foraging difficult and there isn’ta stream for me to fish in, but I also knew there were a bunch of snow shoe hares up there. I asked if my .22 would be allowed and he said sure. So I packed up my back back and got ready to go.

I arrived at the meeting point right on time so we could car pool up the mountain and my fired caught me right outside my car and told me they had a last minute rule change and there were no firearms allowed. (One of the kids brought a pellet gun and they told him to leave it, so to be consistant I couldn’t bring one either.)

It went downhill from there. I underestimated how much show there was. (Still four feet) I understimated how unprepared these kids were. Most had a frame that they strapped their day packs and sleeping bags to. We were carrying shovels and tents in there by hand. Then we had to dig out for a place for the tents. By the time we had everything set up for night fall, I was tired enough to not want to go out and see what was available. I did anyways and found some pine needles and willow, but man finding edibles with four feet of snow on the ground was WAY more work than expected, and there wasn’t much to find. It was quite the failure.

So, Dan, unless someone want to tell their story about their Day of Foraging, and do better than you. You win. Don’t get too confident though, April is a new month and I’m rearing to do much better.

Lol. Still have Sarah’s

I’d go for the idea Urban Scout presented with gaining fluency with one plant in an upcoming month. Sounds cool. I may have actually tried it to a small extent when seeing a huge acorn harvest last fall, but would definitely like to try more in depth.

From the picture, they look like Garlic Mustard (an invasive species). The leaves smell like garlic when bruised. You can eat the leaves, and supposedly they have lots of nutrients. As I recall, they don’t taste as good as they smell – a bit bitter. I plan to gather some this weekend for my salads.

Yeah, definitely right. Steve Brill says no poisonous lookalikes (a favorite phrase of mine to read :slight_smile: ). Can also eat the roots which taste like horseradish. I went back and collected some today - pretty good with steak and growing everywhere right now here.