Dreams

Eric-I used to have half-dreams like that all the time. Usually in the form of a voice in my head.

Last night Urban Scout was in my dream again. He had come to visit for a few days but I was getting frustrated because all he was doing was using the computer and we weren’t doing anything fun.

I think this represents my own frustration at using the computer all the time rather than being a commentary on Urban Scout. I’ve had other dreams where Urban Scout is visiting but we aren’t doing what I wanted. In one he was hanging out with my best friends and not me and then he had to leave abruptly and in another I only had a short time with him before he was leaving to visit an uncle and while he was still here everyone wanted to build quinzees but I was sick of building them. I wanted to build “snowboats” instead so I was pissed off.

Maybe these dreams represent my frustration that Urban Scout (and all you other rewilders I would like to hang out with) lives all the way across the country. It’s like we are friends, but we aren’t real friends. So im my dreams he’s here, but he’s not really here.

A voice? Awesome! To the voice: A/S/L? Culture? Accent? Notable speech characteristics?

Also, “they” say us “ADD” people tend to get sucked into computers easily because its like a quick fix for our info-starved brains. dopamine

I had another liminal experience Saturday. I had just come half-awake when I suddenly experienced being shot to pieces by an A-10. You know, the straight-winged tank-killer airplanes with a huge FUCK YOU gun in the nose? Forearm-sized exploding uranium bullets at a rate of 6000/min? Yeah. First time I’ve been spooked by a dream in a long time. Then, there is the shooting in Blacksburg on monday. The next day, I’m out on my bike and there just happens to be this A10 circling erratically over my town at low altitude. !!! As soon as I stop to watch it with some other people it straightens out and flies away to the southeast. After that, I had a bunch of synchronicities around A10s. Makes me wonder: it has been a tradition to have a military aircraft calendar every year, even after I realized that they killed people. Was there some period of my life where april’s jet was an A10? I need to stop, my connectorizer is about to freak out… GAH NO I need to get it out: my number in sports has always been 10, when I was a kid I made up an imaginary machine-brain virus called A10 (I still have the diagram in my journal), gahhhh.

I’m going to go dip myself in butter and run around naked now.

woah, eric! you do have some serious A10 issues.

on a lighter note:
i remember that in the world of GI Joe toys, the good guys had an F-15 and Cobra had an A-10. So you could never really have any kind of dog fights.

I dreamed that my spirit guide was a goose and it gave me a fancy silver fork as a present.

My “spirit guide” (not a fan of that particular little cliche but meh) is Coyote…which is kind of fun considering I live several 1000 miles away from any (which is probably part of his sense of humor :smiley: )…but I mostly speak with the fey (nope, not tinselling critters or shrunken ugly oiks, nor “ellegant” types or fluffy bunnys neither :smiley: ) who live as deep echos of the oldest ways and who are part of Faerie (another word with a lot on nonsense attached to it by fluffy newagers and HREs alike :stuck_out_tongue: )

:slight_smile:

Coyotes are good for but a few mischievous things. Sitting around doing nothing, chasing tail, and eating massive amounts of good food.

They also make excellent liars and storytellers. ‘This one time another coyote was wasting, uh, spending all his time driving everyone around him raving crackers, much like I am now, except one day everything went to hell and this coyote activated and saved the whole world by trading the sun a bit of moss for the celestial jade lollipop of vulgar monster smiting and taking a really smelly dump, kinda like that one you keep complaining about, right on top of the chief of… of… indomitable evil, paralyzing him and saving his helpless tribe from their imprisonment in the mountains of incessant obnoxious stomach pains. Really. So respect me. And pass the hornet soup.’

GREAT THREAD, PS!

The last few posts seemed to head off in a different direction that have nothing to do with dreams, so I moved them to their own topic here

A dream I had
      I went to sleep after a few minutes lying there after watching Uzumaki (Japanese horror flick), Dancer in the dark and then a short called cat soup. As I passed into sleep I awoke in my house and was suddenly filled with intense memory of a sociological, economical and ecological collapse. I was not at all surprised and my house looked amazing since it looked like it was really being of some use to people because my dad being a survivalist was helping people out and utilizing the convenient field behind my house. For some reason this alone made me ecstatic and though I’m quite a quixotic, though reclusive person when it comes to meeting and spending time with a lot of people in general. I guess you could say it’s because of my romantic ideals reinforced by Gogol and Dostoevsky on what a human being is. 
I walked through the house mobbed by people that were my friends saying they wanted to go to the beach. The beach in real life was 60 miles away from me I took there offer as normal and I started to get exited. When I went outside I received sort of a shock- more so than any before in the dream- because I still had a small grip on how my life is today. It was a beautiful, though filled with wreckage panorama. We went around to the side of my house and we all picked up what appeared to be profoundly constructed surf-boards made from scrounged household items. Though there was one made from a long board and that was the one I picked up. They were all painted on and I suspect that it was I who had done most of it. It was mostly oils and spray paints and I can almost recall the putrid smell of the paints that had manifested themselves on the Surfboards. The images were artistic portrayals of the wreckage I imagined that the rest of the world was experiencing after Americas downfall but a few were of Nature of the coast untouched by society, therefore unpolluted by the downfall.
We began walking and I was a little mystified of where the beach was. I forgot to mention that as I walked along my smallish town had grown quite a bit and though there was a lot of wreckage a train track that went parallel to the beach on a metal bridge still seemed to operate. So it appeared this intensely different society still had a grip of its old ways. I went to what appeared to be the old park but further than that and at about a quarter of the way in there was an ocean. I suppose global warming had caused water to rise. Most of the water looked clean and foamy, so I deduced that the wreckage from buildings, like suburbia ghetto, some of the historical district and thank the Lord my decrepit school, asbestos an all, haha.
When I hit my first wave of the day, realistically the first wave of my life, surfing began to fill like something I’d done a thousand times; and in the dream it turned out I had. After hitting a bunch of waves me and my friends sauntered back to our “commune” I did some chore or my part including carpentry and some crop management. I went to bed fell asleep. In my dream sleeping was kind of odd but I didn’t happen to have a dream in a dream, which might have been too much.
The next day was very similar but more commonplace. I seem to have merely forgotten waking reality. I went outside as before and muscle memory took over. This time only me and my little brother went surfing and I can’t recall why none of my amigos, compatriots if you will, were no shows. When we arrived at the beach it was clear skies but I had never seen waves so high. They were nearly hitting the train bridge I had previously mentioned. So my brother and I decided to climb up on the bridge and jump off with our surfboards as the waves crested a few feet under us. As I jumped for some reason this wave was so far below me it was unlike the one before it. This frightened my so that I dropped my board I had been holding to my feet and grasped a rail of the bridge. 

My brother attempted to help me up but couldn’t so he ran to get help. I seemed to be hanging there for so long that time just seemed to stop and every second burned my arms till they were screaming to let go. I finally through willpower and prayed managed to gather the strength to hoist myself up enough to gain a new hand hold. This hand hold happened to be the closer train rail and though oddly enough I didn’t hear it a train was only a few yards away. As it was about to sever my arm I let go and fell. Time stopped. As I looked below me toward my eventual destination the waves we had frozen. I came barreling down and hit the crest of a strangely still wave and fell into it. It was like there were invisible walls making the wave hold its shape. As I hit the water I awoke to the true reality to my brother saying it was time to get up for breakfast. I was the happiest I’d been in months

Last dream i remember…

i step trough Forest
every tree contains dead Deer
Wolf follows my steps

as a child, every night was full of nightmares. No exception. I learned myself to wake-up from my dreams. THis means to become conscious while sleeping/dreaming. After a while i did not need to wake myself. I was ready for my nightmares i think. I no longer woke up dying. Instead i woke up sleeping. Understanding i was dreaming. At first i went with the flow. Like watching my subconsious. THen i started to understand that the dream could be directed. Not like machine are directed, but more like magic. Fluid brains. Fluid thinking. I flew and had to make weird spiralling moves to keep me conscious and to not fall back into subconscious dreaming again. At this point i no longer had nightmares. I dreamed, and i understood i was dreaming, and there i explored myself. After a while, much like “am i the man who dreams he is a butterfly, or am i the butterfly who dreams she is a man?” anecdote, i woke up one morning. I went to school. I had class, talked with people. Consciously and awake. And then I awoke again. Confused. Blurred lines of reality and consciousness. One day i remember the first time i closed my eyes, awake, and yet enter a dreamlike trance. I could sit eyes closed and experience the world around me. Vision and all. Sometimes these things still happen. I think stress and regulations have taken much of this away though. Also im not really seeking these things out anymore. Im not sure why.

Personally, ai’ve had a lot of crazy “dream in dream” dreams, sometimes lasting for a dozen or so layers and incorporating ones inwhich ai am hallucinating vividly (in particular, ai remember hallucinating a cascade of greens and blues on my wall). One such dream, every few times ai “woke up” ai would be right where ai actually was (in waking reality), but a bunch of my friends were sittling in the chairs arround me (that night, ai slept on the ground in my living room) and each time this happend, they would be in different chairs and say something along the lines of “hes awake, hehe” or “man hes soooo stoned”. For some reason, ai also couldnt get up. When ai really woke up, ai wasnt sure ai was awake at all and got really scared at random things (like the digital clock). Ai decided to either go back to sleep or “go back to sleep”, which ever it was, and hope ai’d eventually wake up. Ai did the next morning, having not dreamed further. Crazy eh? Even crazyer than my mugwort dreams. Something about the nature of reality, ai’m thinkin.

i recently dreamt of:
digging up wild onions
stumbling upon a pile of already-dug wapatoes
watching a red-headed woodpecker land on a guy’s chin and peck at his nose; no worries though, we both laughed gleefully at it!

two dreams:

i dreamed i was fighting a goose. it nearly got the better of me until i grabbed it by the throat and swung it around over my head and broke it’s neck. i remember it being really heavy. i woke up screaming “the goose is killing me!”.

a couple of weeks ago i dreamed i was roller skating down a dirt path with this girl i go to school with. i don’t talk to her much now but i remember she had a big crush on me when we were younger in middle school. i teased her to where she often broke down in tears because i guess it made me feel awkward or something, i dunno. anyways, i feel really guilty about it now, near the end of my senior year of high school, and i think it might have something to do with it. in the dream, we were surrounded by little green, knee high bushes. it felt like we were in a relationship and i think we were breaking up or something but i didn’t feel that sad, just really bleak. she said she was sorry and handed me a little note about the size of the palm of my hand that had the words “nature” and “nurture” on it. then i woke up.

in the waking world:
men with chainsaws cut down an alley of trees through my backyard, cutting through the woods i grew up in and love.

a few months ago, in the dream-time:
i stood in my house, looking out the window towards the place where trees used to stand. but then i saw something moving down there – sprouts! instinctually, i began doing the totoro-lift (you’ll need to see “my neighbor totoro” to get the reference), putting all my energy into helping these young trees up. and they began growing up towards the sky as i lifted again and again.

joy pays a visit every time i think of this dream.

1 Like

[quote=“wildeyes, post:61, topic:101”]in the waking world:
men with chainsaws cut down an alley of trees through my backyard, cutting through the woods i grew up in and love.[/quote]

jeez this sounds just like an oracle element. :wink:

Does anyone get together with friends routinely to share dreams? I’ve had a few in the last two or three years that feel clearly different, collective-unconscious-y, i.e. made for sharing, and I bet we all have those from time to time. Are there traditions in place for sharing these sorts of dreams with each other? I occasionally just tell a friend or two, but I feel drawn toward establishing (or at least trying out) some kind of routine.

I used to and I really enjoyed it. The one thing I would add now is actively following up by making things that honor the dream - painting, drawing, sculpting, carving, something. I always felt the dreams were like, “yeah, great, you’re talking about me but I want something that shows that you really have received me.”

1 Like

That sounds awesome, Willem, thank you.

The funny thing about me is that I hardly ever remember my dreams. But when I do, they are powerful, prophetic, or visionary dreams. It has been this way since I was a kid. I have learned to listen to my dreams because they are telling me things I could never, ever in my waking life consciously understand or even conceive. I had one dream in particular during the super moon about the time of the solstice, December 2015, that really blew me away. Here I am just over one year later and still gathering insights from it. It’s long and detailed, but relevant to rewilding, so here goes!

I’m walking through the woods and I see off in the distance a barren hill poking up above the landscape. It’s a beautiful, but oddly-placed hill with a perfect convex shape like an upside-down saucer. It has a big old barn on top of it, right in the center. Anyone from Pennsylvania would know the type I’m talking about! There is something about this hill and barn though, I can’t quite place it. In my dream I’m carrying a 35mm film camera with me, so I whip it out and snap a picture of the barn upon the hill. I continue my hike, walking towards the barn.

I approach and enter. It is spacious inside, and has a high open-vaulted ceiling several stories up. In the ground level of the barn are all these parked armored vehicles. They have tank treads but are more advanced than tanks and look futuristic. Inexplicably, as I’m looking around the space, I stumble upon an enormous, medieval style book. The kind with gilded pages, fancy gothic calligraphy, and iconographic artwork. I begin flipping through the pages.

Before me are images of knights in shining armor, riding upon their horses. And peering out from beneath the horse, is the figure of a little person. Maybe two feet tall, with large, peering eyes staring out with an emptiness that is eerie and unsettling. The next artwork shows a tree, and a leopard, and leaning out from behind a tree is another of these little people with the large probing eyes. A story is told to me. The story goes, that these little people used to be tiny but nowadays they are the same size as you or I. It is told that their purpose was to sing to sleep the Old Fathers. They sing sweet, beautiful music and it lures the Old Fathers to sleep. And as they go to sleep, the world falls into a state of disrepair. In the dream I am given the name of this race of little people: Moira. (Of course, in my dream there was a mutable or changing quality to their name which I cannot precisely put my tongue on, but within the dream and upon waking the name was clear and day and spelled out in letters M-O-I-R-A.) These Moira, they sing to sleep the Old Fathers, the world falls into a state of disarray, and thus they gain control of the earth for their own purposes. At this point, I have chills. I keep looking through the book. There’s an image of a medieval king upon his thrown, with vassals prostrate before him. But the face of the king is one of these Moira, pale, ashen white, with large, peering, empty eyes. I close the book. I understand that the Moira live here in this barn, and these armored vehicles belong to them. But they aren’t home, for whatever reason. They are journeying around outside somewhere. I leave the barn.

I return to the town where I live and the people whom I know. I am telling people this story I have learned. I am very distraught, as I perceive what the Moira are doing as bad. But no one seems to really understand me or take what I’m saying seriously. Meanwhile, I get my film developed from the camera roll where I shot a picture of the barn upon the hill. When I see the developed photo, I know for sure something is going on and wrong here. There’s the barn, but encircling it in the photo is a vortex of white ghost-like objects flying around the building like flags in the wind. I resolve to go back.

I make again the trek through the forest back to the barn upon the barren hill. Again, the Moira are not home, but I am cautious, knowing they could return at any moment. I enter into the barn again and begin to poke around. I am standing under the high vaulted ceiling of the barn and I see that around the inside edge of the building is a rickety scaffold-like staircase, winding around in a spiral. I begin climbing up the steps. Eventually, I make it all the way to the top. There a little hidden chamber up here. Inside, I find hundreds, perhaps thousands, of tiny quartz effigies. It is a scene like looking at the Chinese terracotta army but these are milky white quartz and have large, gaping eyes and barely a mouth to speak of. All are depictions of Moira. I recognize among all these figures, in a place of prominence, a King and a Queen figure.

This chamber, it is like an open loft, and I look down over the balcony to the armored vehicles far down below. The floor of the barn is concrete. In a wild urge, I grab at once with my left and my right hand the King and the Queen Moira effigy. Zzzzzzzzzz! Electricity is coursing through my arms and my body. I cannot let go of them and struggle against the currents. Somehow, I manage to overcome these forces and I hurl the King and the Queen over the edge of the balcony and watch as they fall to the hard ground below. They hit and shatter into a thousand pieces…

At that very moment, rain begins to storm down and fierce winds begin to blow. I know within an instant through the pit of my stomach, that the Moira know what I have done and they are coming for me to kill me. There is a side hatch up here in the side of the barn, and I look out upon the forest that surrounds the hill. The winds are so fierce that they are ripping trees right out of the ground by their roots, and the trees are flying through the air in a spinning vortex around the barn. One passes by the open hatch and I see the smooth white bark of a sycamore tree. Then it hits me that THIS is the scene that was recorded on film by my camera earlier! The white sycamores are the white banner-like objects. I see the Moira coming back across the distance. Of course, they are inside their vehicles. I never once see one as a being alone. But though they are cloaked within their machinery I know it is them. They are driving their armored vehicle things, which are so powerful that they just mow over the trees along their way in the forest, making a beeline to find me.

I jump out the hatch and run into the forest. Running, running, desperately running. Dusk is falling and the rains are pouring. The Moira are gaining on me in their vehicles. I duck behind a bush. They see me and I run out again, desperately seeking an escape. I grab onto branches and sticks and try to disguise myself as a shrub. But it is no use. They are right up against me and as I am still running, a side hatch opens on what of their vehicles and it latches onto me like a tractor beam. I’m helpless at this point and held in the night air. A shower of golden light pours out of me like water from a hose emptying upon the ground. It’s my life energy, and they are dissolving me into nothingness. I feel myself being torn apart into the tiniest pieces. I have been defeated. And I die.

But the dream isn’t over. The next thing I know I have an awareness of existing in some far off void, like in starry space, and I still feel a growing sense of discontent. I know that I am dead but I am discontented because I am disturbed by these Moira and how they have sung to sleep the Old Fathers. I am not happy to remain within this void, peaceful though it be. Next thing I know, my attention is drawn to a place where I witness many different human couples having sex. I am drawn further in the direction of one particular couple fucking.

Whoosh! I am born as their child. And here in my dream I’m watching this baby now, this bubbly, bumbling infant, and I’m recognizing that inborn within the child is a near unquenchable love for all living things. The animals, the trees, the wildflowers, all of it. And I realize that this child has been born as part of a resistance force against the Moira, and has been given protection against the powers of the Moira’s song of numbing sleep. This child will grow to sing a new song. A song of awakening of the Old Fathers and Old Mothers. A song to rearrange and repair the world through the wakefulness of those old Fathers and Mothers.

Then I wake up from my dream.

1 Like