Healing and withdrawal

Working to improve my health and heal my civilized body teaches me a lot about how healing occurs.

I believe that I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms that are worse than the symptoms I felt before I started this process. Perhaps, my body is healing all of the past toxins/illnesses/experiences that never really healed but instead have fermented inside my body for years…perhaps all my life.

Will you share your experiences with me? Also, what next? Let them run their course and continue improving my health?

What have you done to heal yourself?

What behavioral changes (i.e. diet) have caused this feeling of withdrawl?

I don’t know if withdrawal was a good description of what is happening…

I had been feeling generally moody, low energy, irritable, sort of like I was about to get sick, and totally addicted to my sugary/processed/grain/dairy diet.

Then, I stopped eating grains, dairy, legumes, and processed sugar. Started eating more meat, nuts, seeds, fruit, vegetables (natural, organic when possible) and exercising a lot more.

And soon after that even though my moodiness, low energy, irritability and addictions (cravings) have improved 10fold, I’ve developed some weird things all at once… like maybe I have a yeast infection or urinary infection, a little rash, and my moontime is all out of wack.

I think the two events are related, but I don’t really know why and what to do about it.

Hm… I don’t doctor, but from my own experience, I would say it sounds like Candidiasis. Which means you need to cut out suger, even fruit, and start taking pro-biotic supplements or making them yourself through fermentation.

It sounds like you have eaten similar to the “Paleo Diet?” Did you make that choice consciously? I recommend reading the book “The Body Ecology Diet.”

I have suffered from constant fatigue for over 5 years now (from excessive coffee drinking, excessive alcohol drinking, and excessive smoking). Last May I quit everything and began to eat as you described your own newer habits (I call it the paleo diet). Even after months on that diet I still experienced constant fatigue.

On January first I began the body ecology diet, which works like the paleo diet but restricts more foods, specifically anything with sugar. Basically it sounds like you have a microbial imbalance and need to boost your immune system. I have eaten Body Ecology style for almost 3 months now. Initially things got worse, but within 3-4 weeks the fatigue began to wear off, with major highs and major lows. Things evened out quite a bit in the last month and now I have actually debated whether or not to even start eating sugar again as the Body Ecology Diet suggests (once you starve the Candida and other pathogens out). I feel like I could live forever without sugar. I know it may sound hard, but it really doesn’t feel that way when you get into it. Stevia tasted like shit before I started this diet, now it takes great. Anyway, I recommend at least skimming the book and eating less sugary things and more probiotics, at the very least.

Hi Dandelion ~ From my experience, it sounds like your body/mind is trying to cleanse and heal itself. Have you ever done a fast? You could try a juice fast for a week or two. I really think that would help you.
I’ve never experienced anything as healing as a fast. It’s my cure-all.

Thank you both for your responses! You know, I think I might just do both of those things… And, yes, Urban Scout I am following the paleo/neanderthin diet, although I may be eating too much fruit!

I recommend the Body Ecology Diet book also. Just to add to Raindance’s comment on cleansing and healing…

In my experience, radical diet changes almost inevitably create lots of bizarre little symptoms and side-effects. Rashes, headaches, cramps, cebaceous cysts, body odor, fatigue, moodiness, on and on. I’ve found the more narrowly one shifts one’s diet (say, the more kinds of modern foods and anti-nutrients one avoids), the more marked the symptoms during transition (and during relapse if one goes back). We can find differing useful ways of explaining and modeling these experiences, I favor the “detox” (per Raindance’s comment) model the best.

Meaning, all those symptoms signify all the different cleansings of your body’s clogged detoxification/filtration systems that it finally feels it can do; while we eat garbage, our body’s basically give up on the idea. We overwhelm them with pollution! But once we tell our body that we plan to eat a minimum of modern fouling foods, boy do the floodgates open! And boy does it complain if we change our minds!

Anymore, I see us almost like molluscs, environmental filters, who can handle almost any pollutant with enough opportunity to flush it out again. But overload it, and reduce regimens of bathing/hydration/sweats/fasts, and we just end up clogged with muck. I don’t know that I groove too well with the overenthusiastic regimens of bodycleansing that some fame yogis for, but as far as I can tell all north and central american indians had sweating (sweat lodges) and fasting traditions, even though they already had unlimited fresh air (and many had almost unlimited fresh water), along with nourishing and appropriate diets. Clearly it doesn’t suffice just to change diet…we need to resurrect sweating and fasting traditions too for a well rounded home-health-care tradition.

your area, of course, made willow lodges, the round hut of the lakotas and ilk from nebraska to washington. the midwest and east built bark-covered logs, and the southern and south west indians made brick sweathouses. I used to know more, ut I’m pretty sure the sweat is the total american experience.

Hey all,

I belong to the “Yahoo! Teaching Drum Outdoor Living School Listserve” and ran across this post by RedWolfReturns that I think is related to this discussion. I’m going to post it here because I think he brings up some good points and asks some important questions about fasting. I’ll post the responses to his comments and questions from TDOL Listserve if people want me to. Or you can read them by joining the list too. Also, if people here don’t think I should paste a post from another discussion list here then I will just delete it. It will be no problem.

Take care,

Curt

I'd like to start a discussion about the importance of fasting or the willingness to go without food for extended periods (up to 10 days) in the primitive nomadic hunter gatherer life.

According to Mors Kochanski a person needs to consume at least 1500
calories over expenditure a day in order for it to be worth his while
to eat at all. If he cant get 1500 calories, it is better for him to
go without food, so his body goes into (or stays in) a low energy mode.

Our experience facilitating the Teaching Drum’s year-long program
seems to fit with this perspective, since our seekers often have a
hard time maintaining bodyweight if they forage and eat every day
while not yet being good enough at foraging to get a whole lot of food
on each of those days.

We know that in many native populations the people prided themselves
on being able to go for more than a week without food with no
complaints and while remaining functional. Then they could eat as many
as 10 times a day when food was again plentiful.

Interestingly enough, many of the early European colonists in the
Americas couldn’t understand why the natives were so willing to go
hungry during the “hunger moons” of the late winter. Yet, since a
population can never grow larger than what the lowest available food
supply through the year can support, this may be one of the key
secrets to how native populations stayed in balance with their
ecosystems and thus enjoyed leisure and abundance throughout the rest
of the year.

Anyway, perhaps it makes sense to have folks forage while fasting
until they get enough food to feast. And perhaps it makes the most
sense for people to fast more often during nomadic journeys between
prime foraging areas or big windfalls of food (such as what folks get
while moving into a new area where game is plentiful, or moving into
an area where the fish are running or going to the wild rice lakes for
that windfall of calories).

At any rate, it seems to me that fasting is a vital primitive survival
skill.

And interestingly enough, a key spiritual exercise in virtually every
one of the world’s religious traditions.

Any thoughts?

The thing about fasting is that your body needs to be in good shape to do it well.

Most Americans, no matter how large or small, are incredibly malnourished thanks to the demineralization of the soil (as well as the obvious poor food choices that so many make). So, before you start ~cleansing~ you might want to nourish yourself more with wild foods, herbal infusions (a great source of minerals), seaweed and good food (i really like the paleo diet too) with a focus on high quality fats. An ionic mineral supplement can sometimes be appropriate when someone is seriously deficient, at least for a while.

Malnourished people often get sicker rather than better when they fast, especially for more than three days. I lead vision quests and see this alot… so much that I’ve started sending people out with nettle infusion, nuts and other choice items to avoid the body trauma that can happen (that can take MONTHS to heal sometimes).

Primitive peoples, even if they weren’t getting huge amounts of food were getting high quality, mineral dense foods making periods of hunger and fasting easier on the body…

and, if you read anything about insulin resistance and syndrome x, you can see how helpful a paleo diet can be… especially if you plan on living primitively. the fatigue, chronic pain, obesity and other symptoms can make it difficult to function well physically.

Great information here.

You may also have undiagnosed food sensitivities. Common sensitivities include dairy, gluten and corn.

A way to diagnose this is to try a food rotation diet (try a google search). Basically, you limit yourself to very safe foods which you seldom eat (like organic turkey, quinoa and kale), rotate through them, and then slowly introduce new foods one at a time to test your reaction.

It’s more complicated than that. But the basic intent of it is to establish a ‘control group’ of safe foods so that you can be quite sure that the new variable (food) you introduce is the cause of your symptoms.

that makes sense to me…

during the winters I have developed the ability to slow down… (everything seems less important) eat less sometimes I only feel hungry once every other day)… sleep more… (up to 14 hours a day)

I really consider it a form of sudo hibernation…

during the summers it reverses… I an highly active (I can’t sit still), eat my fill and more (like a bear) and sleep for short periods… (usually only 4 or 5 hours a night)

It is hell on a civ work life… but it simply feels natural to me…

Has anyone else experienced this?

Has my biorythem adapted to Pacific northwest seasons?