Everything I Needed to Know About Family I Learned From Wolves

Alright, my new favorite book:

“On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals” by Turid Rugaas

A brilliant book that left me unable to look at dogs the same ever again. Ever. I could tell you some stories from the aftereffects, wow!

But in any case, a really good quote, that Mr. Godesky would appreciate in particular, but all y’all will enjoy hearing:

For many years it has been a myth that you have to take a leadership position to prevent a puppy from trying to take over and to be the boss. Many sad dog destinies and many problems have come out of that myth and it is not the way it works.

Stop using the word leadership, and use instead the word parenthood, as this is exactly what it should be.

A wolf pack is created by a pair of wolves who have cubs. The cubs grow up with the most patient and loving parents anyone can wish for, and in return they will love and have a natural respect for their parents lasting their whole lives. They are fed first, before the adults even think about eating, and they grow up in a world of love, safety and care.

When they get old enough, some of them will leave to make their own little family. Others stay with their parents, helping to bring up their own little family. Others stay with their parents, helping to bring up the new cubs, and hunt together with them. They never try to “take over” or anything like that as the natural respect lasts a lifetime.

This book really touched my heart as a new way of seeing and relating to dogs, and the implications for rewilding in terms of body language and what wolves have taught us about relating (and why several native cultures I can think of off hand claim we learned how to behave like family from wolves).

(and why several native cultures I can think of off hand claim we learned how to behave like family from wolves).

A few months back I ran across a part in Farley Mowat’s Never Cry Wolf where an Inuit explains this to the naive young biologist. It’s a pretty good part. And it made a lot of sense to me.

Take care,

Curt

Awesome, always interested in the insight our canine brethren give us.