Natural hair care

Hi all, I gave up shampoo and conditioner a while back in exchange for washing my hair in mineral salt baths. There seems to be a lot of people on the internet (Google “no poo”) who have chosen instead to wash their hair with baking soda and vinegar, etc., to avoid the cancer causing chemicals in modern hair products. These people argue that hair only gets as oily as it does because we strip it of it’s natural oils, but few seem to trust their hair to completely self regulate.

I was wondering if there were others out there who are taking my approach, or water only, and what your experiences have been with the whole thing?

1 Like

I’ve read Native American’s washed their hair with wood ash. I haven’t tried it, but I am curious. I use a natural shampoo right now. I am also in the process of creating dreadlocks in my hair so it is easier to maintain.

My husband tried the water only thing and his hair was extremely greasy. He kept saying it would eventually balance out, but he couldn’t wait much longer, I feared his job would start to ask questions and he already has a pretty crazy beard that was pushing their limits of what “professionalism” should be. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have tried the baking soda vinegar thing and I never did it long enough to notice if it would work long term or not. Right now, I need to keep my hair very clean and oil free so the dread can tighten up.

I wanna ditch shampoo, but currently I just run some over the surface of my hair without scrubbing every 2-3 days in the hopes it looks “clean” enough and my scalp is safe. Dx I honestly don’t care if my hair looks oily, I already usually rub dirt and grease into my hands and feet instead of washing them, but my mom is a severely domesticated bipolar neatfreak. I’ve thought of using rosemary vinegar like I do for my face, or perhaps castille soap would be safer than shampoo?