The End of Whiteness, Misogyny, And Its Death Throes

I’m super excited nowadays about the conversations I read on the internet. I feel like all kinds of folks are connecting and affirming feeling heard, speaking out, and speaking ever-more-eloquently and bluntly (not mutually exclusive concepts!) about ending misogyny, white privilege, and colonial thinking.

I’m super excited about conversations about ending cultural appropriation.

I’m super excited about women, indigenous peoples, people of color, finding their voices - or probably said more accurately, finding opportunities to use their voices more publicly.

I have no problem being stripped down for being “white” or having "white privilege. For “mansplaining”, for transphobia, for misogyny, for my blindspots and ignorance. For my unintended cultural appropriations.

It’s an awesome feeling. I love it. Well most of the time.

I see so many white people, and white men, panicking about all of this. It’s pretty hilarious.

I don’t think anything can possibly really happen before civilization gets much further into its crash than it currently is. There are no resolutions when rights are given or taken away in accord with who has the most men with guns to back them up.

But still. It’s a great time to be alive. “It was the best of times - it was the worst of times.”

Well said Willem.

One of the places where this white privilege is ending is Ferguson. After the grand jury decided to indict Darren Wilson, Ferguson became a site of collapse. There were stores and cars on fire! It seems that Ferguson is a new collapse site…

It always struck me bit odd that on all the primitive events I have been to over many years that very few to none non whites were in attendance…

on the weekly wild food hikes in the L.A. area it is ALMOST 100% white. At our Dirttime events we have over a 20 year period we have very few non whites… maybe over that time 10 or twelve non whites… . I dont know why…but always struck me as odd…

Dude

That’s something that used to bother me about Ren Faires, (back when I did them), as well. But eventually I realized that many/most of the people attracted to Ren Faires, SCA, and skills gatherings (in the USA at least) are people of European-descent who are looking for some connection to their roots. But having realized that, it really excites me when I do see folks of non-European ancestries attending Primitive Skills gatherings, because we all have so-called “Primitive” roots, and unlike Faires and SCA, ancestral skills gatherings offer us all such a beautiful opportunity to express our heritages as well as celebrate our commonalities.

And I think that as the term “Ancestral Skills” catches on, we will see more and more people of different cultures attending gatherings. Using the word “Primitive” is a really bad way to attract folks whose ancestors were labeled derogatorily as such.

“Ancestral Skills” is a term that has been in use for many years by the “society of primitive technology”… Steve Watts even has a book by that title…

Dude