This is what i mean!

This Tom Brown, christian fundamentalism, one-right-way bullshit.

lol

dude…

im not an evangelist here…

ive just been messing with wilderness skills…
a long time… along the way, magical things happened…

i wanted to simply help you see that there is a whole aspect to “scout awareness” that your page leaves out… or maybe even ignores on purpose… could it be that it is too taboo? are you scared? afraid of what your city friends might think?

and to maybe help you see that there are people who look at your page longing for the whole picture and you are missing a big chunk of the pie…

your page said you were looking for like minded people to be friends with… well thats me!

i felt as if you are mocking thousands of years of traditional lessons…

sometimes its like not being able to see the trees for the forest… we focus so hard that we miss something big…

i guess when i see that label “scout” it means something more than Boy Scouts’ hand to mouth techniques to me…

my indian friends would be insulted by your page…

yet these are the same people who you have taken your whole Schtick from…

some of the people you insult… are the people who could point you to places that you cannot possibly imagine…

i still want you to add me as your friend… i wouldnt disrespect your page… i might punk you out in private…
(not reallY)

i feel like anyone who truly longs for the skills of wilderness, survival or urban survival…

is a friend to me…or should be.

we are all children on the greater journey into the mystery… into the unknown…

doubt is a HUGE blockage in this world…

ask yourself… do you want your page and work to read as comedy? if so its a relatively small “ha ha” moment compared to the greater things that are possible you are missing through doubt and self denial… (i am assuming by the reply you gave me)

i wrote to you because i see value in what you are doing…

you shouldnt assume that you have it ALL figured out…

i dont assume to either

by interacting with others who share the same interests… we could help each other… you have knowledge that i do not…

i have knowledge that you do not…

have you ever made a shagbark hickory torch with a cattail wick that you can dunk in water and then blow right back into a flame? see what i mean? its endless man…

all i truly hoped to do was have a thought inspiring conversation and to hopefully add a new friend who has a cool page…

yes… you have a cool page…

but it could be so much more…

yet you seem to doubt…

as an artist it took years for me to open up to criticism from others… but the fact of the matter is… the more open i am to opinions of others no matter how great or small… the more effective i become at actually making work that touches people on a real and personal level… the greater change i can effect… therefore the more powerful my works become…

i dont look down on you…

even though i have lived a decade longer than you have i would consider you a peer…

this earth really doesnt need us… if we get too rowdy she will shake us off like fleas and although she is ill…

she will be ok… but we people need to learn to help each other and give a shit before its too late… do you really think that the medicine men couldnt heal people? i tell you that they still are out there healing and it is very real… not some myth from the past…

even if you dont add me… because u think im a critic just trying to knock you… ( i assure you thats not my objective…i really am only trying to point out something that i felt was missing… and i come with honesty and sincerity)

even if… you dont… i URGE you to practice meditation as part of your project…and by all means write about it… you are a good writer…

if you are going to call yourself a scout, honor those from whom you are borrowing… neither the skills or the knowledge belong to you… they belong to all… (unfortunately they are not mine either!)

scouts were highly attuned to nature AND spirit…
they sacrificed self for the greater good of the people…

i cant put belief in your heart… i cant remove your doubt…

but i promise you this…

if you spend enough time in nature ALONE it will happen naturally… i dont know if the suburbs are the best place to connect but i cant deny that i have had powerful experiences there as well as deep in the woods

at any rate… i didnt come here and spend my time contacting you to preach any gospel…

i came hoping to make a new friend…

and again i do love the project… and you deserve alot of praise for your hard work…

i just hope to see you add that one missing piece of the pie… maybe it could even be the master stroke of your project… maybe you will disregard my criticisms and forget about it… and thats ok too… but you wont be cheating me… i still think that i get alot of hits and i could introduce your project to alot of folks…

because whether you realize now or not…

you are on a search… your project is not superficial laughs and a mere collection of interesting data…a novel all that is well and fine… but you ARE seeking a much deeper connection…

your inner self longs for it…

otherwise, you are just a sham in a Teepee in your parents back yard… getting paid to write a clever blog about a subject you only pretend to embrace… in between sessions with your ipod… and “living vicariously through your friends” at the bar…

“get saved” however you see fit man…

but dont say you want to meet like minded people if you only want them to agree with you without compromise…

i actually found your work through youtube and then searched on myspace hoping to find you and did…

and now i wonder why you didnt add me?

because i ribbed you about using your inheritance?

hell man if i had one… i would probably have done something very similiar…

i wasnt hatin…

add me or dont…

but remember that everything we do comes back to us…

we are all connected…

and for cryin out loud…

wash your underwear.

:wink:

lol dude... im not an evangelist here...

But…

"get saved" however you see fit man...
at any rate... i didnt come here and spend my time contacting you to preach any gospel... i came hoping to make a new friend...

I think maybe he did come seeking a friend, but he also came to preach to you about

add[ing] that one missing piece of the pie...

which he never really explains. I guess he wants you to take your MySpace page more seriously? When did MySpace become the penultimate expression of devotion to primitivism?

If he really wants to help, he can write a wiki article on the shagbark hickory/cattail torch and the endless knowledge that that example somehow depicted in his (gonna make an assumption here based on his sentence structure and rambly discourse) THC-induced thoughts.

I’m really glad that none of the people I’ve met in this group are as uppity as the christian evangelical mentalities I’ve left behind. Scout, you and Willem have talked a lot about the religious aspect of the tracker religion, but I’m glad you never try to shove it down my throat.

Hell, Willem, your blog is so not-down-my-throat that it took me a few months to figure out how it applied to rewilding. :slight_smile: And once I got it, I appreciated it all the more.

Hell, Willem, your blog is so not-down-my-throat that it took me a few months to figure out how it applied to rewilding. Smiley And once I got it, I appreciated it all the more.

What an awesome compliment! Thank you Wilderix. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I didn’t get it for a while either.

In fact, I’m still pulling things out, I think it’s a long-term project.

As regards the initial meaningless ramble, well, it looks awfully… well, meaningless. I kept hoping to actually come across the purpose of it, but it was just more of the same… bummer.

Yeah, it probably wasn’t until Scout’s goose blog in e-prime that I started realizing what the college is about. I’ve had a blast trying to shake off the “be” under your and his tutelage.

I really appreciate the “best of the college” collection. Now some of the threads are starting to come clear. Plus I’m reading “Spell of the Sensuous” (at the recommendation of almost every rewilder I’ve ever read) and Abrams is helping me get a sense of place as well.

I do have to question, though, the college’s tagline:

every place a riddle, every riddle a poem, every poem a spirit, every spirit a place

dude, it’s just riddled with elliptical “to be” verbs. talk about the “is of identity” error, man, you just ISed all over the place. but you did it sneakily, like the russians, who leave the verb understood.

granted, i think i gather from one of your posts that you came into e-prime after you started the college. and if that’s so, then you probably weren’t all that game to trash such a cool, amergin-reminiscent epigraph. but i was wondering how the college’s mantra fits into the realm of e-prime or e-primitive–by trying to be unverby with hidden linking verbs. the mythos of the map is there, to be sure, in full force, and it’s a very powerful statement. but what of the “be”, sir? i ask you, what of the “be”?

notice my hypocrisy in that i was to lazy to e-prime this post. :slight_smile:

I see, wilderex. You felt lazy. I feel the same sometimes too. It happens to the best of us. Sorry about the myspace confused brotherly rant, Scout. Ignorant! He could have smoked some. I don’t know and I don’t care. Sounds like it, though, 'cause I know from personal experience. Which reminds me…never mind. We all come to rewilding differently, I guess. At least we come.

[quote=“jhereg”][
Yeah, I didn’t get it for a while either.

In fact, I’m still pulling things out, I think it’s a long-term project.[/quote]

I have to fess up. I don’t really get it either. :wink:

[quote=“WildeRix”]I do have to question, though, the college’s tagline:

dude, it’s just riddled with elliptical “to be” verbs. talk about the “is of identity” error, man, you just ISed all over the place. but you did it sneakily, like the russians, who leave the verb understood.

granted, i think i gather from one of your posts that you came into e-prime after you started the college. and if that’s so, then you probably weren’t all that game to trash such a cool, amergin-reminiscent epigraph. but i was wondering how the college’s mantra fits into the realm of e-prime or e-primitive–by trying to be unverby with hidden linking verbs. the mythos of the map is there, to be sure, in full force, and it’s a very powerful statement. but what of the “be”, sir? i ask you, what of the “be”?[/quote]

Do you blame the coyote in me, if I did this on purpose? To wit: instead of seeing hidden “to be”, why not see hidden e-primitive, I ask you?

i.e., “[in] Every place [i see] a riddle, [in] every riddle [I hear] a poem, [in] every poem [i feel] a spirit, [in] every spirit [dwells] a place”.

or…

“Every place [speaks] a riddle, every riddle [weaves] a poem, every poem [embodies] a spirit, every spirit [emerges from] a place.”

or…

Try it out! What the hell does it mean, anyway? Ha ha. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Willem, post:8, topic:173”]Do you blame the coyote in me, if I did this on purpose? To wit: instead of seeing hidden “to be”, why not see hidden e-primitive, I ask you?

i.e., “[in] Every place [i see] a riddle, [in] every riddle [I hear] a poem, [in] every poem [i feel] a spirit, [in] every spirit [dwells] a place”.

or…

“Every place [speaks] a riddle, every riddle [weaves] a poem, every poem [embodies] a spirit, every spirit [emerges from] a place.”

or…[/quote]

Wow!

I may have actually just converted. Honestly, I thought this whole “to be” thing was just leftover from Sapir-Whorf. After all, all natural languages have something that stands in that place, even if it’s just a copula (a la Japanese). Hmm, okay, from now on, I intend to practice e-primitive.

Do you blame the coyote in me, if I did this on purpose? To wit: instead of seeing hidden "to be", why not see hidden e-primitive, I ask you?

or…

or…

Try it out! What the hell does it mean, anyway? Ha ha.

Oh, snap. I just got smacked down with the primitive.

Nice, Willem. It stands to show how deeply Mother Culture has entrenched me with her ISism that I could not see the Coyote for the trees (I just though I’d take a stab at butchering that cliche as much as the MySpace ranter did.) If our whole E-Prime Primer schooling stands to teach us how to prime the BE we can see, why didn’t I try to prime the BE beneath the scene?

Now it comes clear. Now my eyes see, my ears hear, my nose smells… now my body senses the prime and primitive beneath your pen.

Let me paint my hand upon this rock as well:

“[In] every place [i answer] a riddle, [with] every riddle [i ask] a poem, [from] every poem [i send] a spirit, [from] every spirit [i receive] a place.”

“every place [teaches] a riddle, every riddle [echos] a poem,
every poem [breathes] a spirit, every spirit [grants] a place”

and to get all verby:

“every place [places] a riddle, every riddle [riddles] a poem,
every poem [poems] a spirit, every spirit [spirits] a place”

conversely,

“every place [riddles] a riddle, every riddle [poems] a poem,
every poem [spirits] a spirit, every spirit [places] a place”

Great stuff! I somethimes slip and say “What’s up”, instead “what up.” What up with that? Does anybody have any ideas that may help me not slip? Please share. I’ve tried slowing down, practicing, and learning from my mistakes. Does that work for anyone else? For me it has, I think, a little. Please share any tricks that you may have that you think may help us not slip? “Why” you may ask, well because I just don’t want to use the words “are”, “was”, “is”, “am”, “be”, “were”, “been,” anymore. And, does anybody know what their “contractions” look like? Thanks.

Aliester Crowley decided he didn’t want to say “I” anymore, so he strated to cut himself with a razor when he slipped and said it.

Robert ANton Wilson tried the same thing, except he bit his thumb instead of cutting himself.

Not exactly what I wanted. I really want to know about what has worked for you, since I relate more with you than those guys. Thanks anyway though.

So I blocked this guy and he starts sending messages to Sasha, then sends me a message from someone ELSES profile! Ah! I told Myspace Tom about it and it seems to have stopped.

“We have many things in common, we can be buddies you know, we should really be pals… I mean, come on. No really, you don’t actually want me to go away, you’re gonna be my buddy whether you like it or not, do KNOW what it takes to be my buddy?? You better get your ass into line, son. INTO LINE GODDAMIT BEFORE I RIP YOUR HEAD OFF…”

…I know the type ;D

Although, if he’s that into you, maybe you can at least get some boiled rabbit out of the deal (fata attraction, anyone?).

Holy Craziness!

my indian friends would be insulted by your page...

That is such a cheesy dumbass thing to say.

He shoulda seen your page before complete with bowdrill as sex metaphors and references to whiskey and cigarettes punk rock-style pre-emptive postapocalyptic partying. It’s gotten a lot more serious, but the humor was what made me fall in love in the first place.

this earth really doesnt need us... if we get too rowdy she will shake us off like fleas and although she is ill...

she will be ok… but we people need to learn to help each other and give a shit before its too late…

Ugg, not that old argument. I’d rail on it but Derrick Jensens already done a good job. It doesn’t even make sense for a brownie to say because Tom Brown teaches that humans do play an important part in the ecology of the earth.