"Burning Man Gets Torched"

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2009/04/389366.shtml

I don’t know if I need to say anything else. Anyway, it sums up my feelings on why I feel wary about Burning Man culture.

Burning Man… bleh. I agree, I am wary about the “culture” surrounding an annual event, sounds like gimmickry to me (although I’ve seen one picture of some really great sculpture/artwork displayed at BM). I’ve never felt compelled to go, even though some people keep telling me I would love it (I think they base that notion on the premise that everyone who “goes against the grain,” so to speak, needs to be lumped together into one unified drug-induced pathetic excuse for community). Willem, remember the “totalitarian anarchist” marching band? …Burning Man all the way.

I disliked this:

If you want to be spiritual — go be a Druid or something.
"Go appropriate some other culture" in other words. Seems a little hypocritical.

I have to say, though, my thoughts on “appropriation” are completely different than 90% of what I see in rewilding, anti-civ, etc, circles.

On burning man: it always seemed hollow and pointless to me.

[quote=“kveldulf, post:3, topic:1390”]I disliked this:

“Go appropriate some other culture” in other words. Seems a little hypocritical.[/quote]

I think they assumed most of the burning folks come from a northern european background, the druids belonging to celtic/gallic cultures. Rather than appropriate some other culture, they advised folks to explore their own ancestry. I hear this a lot from native folks, and I think they make a good point.

I have to say, though, my thoughts on "appropriation" are completely different than 90% of what I see in rewilding, anti-civ, etc, circles.

Sounds interesting. How do they differ? Do they differ from what you see here at Rewild.info?

Willem, remember the "totalitarian anarchist" marching band? ...Burning Man all the way.

Oh, and regards to this: yes I remember. Ha. Well, there you go.