Sámi take on rewilding!

Mari Boine of the Sámi speaks about her effort to rewild in the context of music. As a child she was thought that the Sámi style of singing, Joik, came from the devil etc etc by her parents and society in general.

I’m starting to realise that the Sámi have a lot to teach, and they are also beginning to argue strongly for independence from Norway, Sweden and Finland. Think I will research them a bit(have a few in my family) and report back here what I’v learned!

Thanks for sharing. I really like her songs.

I would be really interested in the results of your research about the Sami people and their culture.

[quote=“bb, post:2, topic:1378”]Thanks for sharing. I really like her songs.

I would be really interested in the results of your research about the Sami people and their culture.[/quote]

I’ll second that, and will maybe have to look deeper into the tradition myself. Especially liked the way she pounded that drum with eyes glinting defiance - a simple but powerful act of resistance.

I think it was fairly standard practice for the Christians to associate all the ancient European gods and customs with faceless ‘devils’, thus erasing cultural heritages and preparing the ground for their invasive seed and the new conquering heroes. So if any bridges back to the old ways still exist, I reckon we can probably take any indication of ‘devilry’ as a sign we’re on the right track :wink:

Yeah I’m starting to realise that christianity pretty much got it backwards. Jesus was a rewilder though from what I’v read in the apokrypal text.