Stop dat rapin' of our Mama!

How typically arrogant and short-sighted that the “solution” is to kill the bears. The only question for these people is not whether to kill the bears in reprisal, but how many bears they should kill. It’s no surprise, but sad just the same that the wrong questions are asked and seemingly never the right questions. For example, what about questions like “How can we restore the bears’ habitat so that their food supply is not compromised?” Or here’s another one, perhaps more important. “Do we need platinum that badly?” All I can think when I see that picture of the bear is how truly awesome it is to live in the same world, and indeed in the same family as this amazing being.

Viktor Leushkin, a village official, told the Itar-Tass news agency: “These predators have to be destroyed. Once they kill a human, they will do it again and again.”

Sounds like someone is mistaking the behaviour of the wild with the behaviour of civilized humanity.

A team of snipers, with orders to shoot the bears, is now being dispatched to confront the invasion after government officials authorised an off-season hunt.

fuck. “invasion”, eh? i wonder if the bears consider a platinum mine an invasion. what do we do with platinum besides make jewelry out of it?

Platinum is used for lots of things. One of the most common uses of platinum is in the catalytic converter of automobiles. Clearly this sort of use justifies the mining of platinum and the ensuing destruction to the bears’ habitat. I mean, catalytic converters reduce harmful gases from automobiles, which is essential for moving society toward a green future. To speak of getting rid of catalytic converters is to advocate for destroying the earth. In fact, anyone who would oppose platinum mining clearly hates the earth. I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking that it would be far more effective if we just stopped driving automobiles. Then we wouldn’t need to mine platinum nor extract petroleum nor mine iron ore nor have steel mills nor pave all the land nor any of the other damaging effects of automobiles. But this just shows that you’re not thinking well. What you’re forgetting is the “economy”. And we all know how important the economy is. The economy trumps your precious bears. Your bears are just in the way of “progress”. Funny, though. I’ve met bears. I rather liked them. But I never met an economy. But the CEOs and pundits and “leaders” know better, right? Surely they’ve met an economy. And they sure seem to think highly of economies. I guess an economy is just a better sort of animal than a bear.

Here’s another story along those lines: http://snafu-ed.blogspot.com/2009/02/woman-seriously-mauled-in-attack-by.html

A chimp unexpectedly attacks “owner”'s friend, is stabbed by “owner”, shot and killed by police. Among the questions asked surrounding this incident “Why the hell did she have fellow primate for a pet?” isn’t one of them.