Internet conspiracy theorist predicts economic collapse next week

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/2009/01/29/internet-conspiracy-theorist-predicts-economic-collapse-next-week/

So, the guy can’t seem to adequately string together related sentences, design a webpage that makes all of my visual sensibilities scream, and is probably a complete nut. But…

…he did do a good job predicting the recent market crash. Keep an eye out.

Next week, eh? I think this guy doesnt read the newspapers…

When it comes to the collapse of civilization these days, I tend to follow Dmitry Orlov and John Michael Greer in terms of how the decline of civilization will go. In terms of Orlov’s “Five Stages of Collapse”, we’re in stage 2 – commercial collapse. I feel Obama’s presidency may either go a couple of ways in terms of moving into stage 3 – political collapse.

In many ways, I think that Obama is a charismatic figure and is certainly well-liked among the populace. I can imagine people toughing out rough times if they have him to assure and soothe them. However, at the same time, the expectations on Obama do not fall short of Messianic, and he will certainly fail to deliver on that level. In that sense, I think Orlov correctly remarks that Obama will act as America’s Gorbachev. I don’t know if we’ll see the disintegration of the “United States of America” in the next eight years, but it would not surprise me if we begin to see major fault lines and holes open up within the map of the USA in the coming years (see Jason Godesky’s Opening of the Map).

Where will these “holes” open up?

[quote=“wildeyes, post:3, topic:1311”]…if we begin to see major fault lines and holes open up within the map of the USA in the coming years (see Jason Godesky’s Opening of the Map).

Where will these “holes” open up?[/quote]

I call that the question of the year. Something to note when selecting Rewilding Havens!

having just finished Jensen’s “The Culture of Make-Believe” i am not at all reassured.

the corporations will go on. they always seem to. and their paid hordes of unemployed mercenaries, two of which are my brothers who joined the marines simply because there were no jobs for them here, no future, and no way to enter college while slaving 40+ hrs per week on min. wage.

i keep thinking “these are your future killers”. sad, so sad.

“next week” meaning this week. Nothing much on his site at present.

As my survivalist friend says, “Here’s to Barack Obama, last president of the United States.”

I believe the specific date he is counting down to is next Monday or Tuesday. We’ll see if anything big actually happens.

Now there’s something to work with. Here’s to monday! (or tuesday…)

Let’s all make sure to crack open a drink when/if we hear about another stock market crash. I have a few bottles of Old Heathen reserved just for such an occasion.

P.S. - Love your new icon, timeLESS.

Keep in mind that the global economy has turned large regions of the world into a giant peer polity system. In order for one portion of the system to collapse, it all has to collapse; otherwise any ‘collapse’ is just a minor faltering where the ‘powers that be’ step in to stabilize the situation (as we are seeing now).

don’t forget that interdependencies of economical systems and the collapse of several subsystems thereof put more stress on the overall economical system, pushing the whole thing(system) towards its breaking point.

having autonomous economies would be a much more sustainable economic strategy.

[quote=“timeLESS, post:12, topic:1311”]don’t forget that interdependencies of economical systems and the collapse of several subsystems thereof put more stress on the overall economical system, pushing the whole thing(system) towards its breaking point.

having autonomous economies would be a much more sustainable economic strategy.[/quote]

That is certainly a valid point, though the same is true for any family level tribal system. In any system where stress is dispersed away from the point of impact it is less likely to fail overall than if each part of the system had to deal with it alone.

I am not sure why autonomous economies would be much more sustainable in that situation. The pressure would be more likely to crush the single economy outright leaving the others intact, certainly; but if the same pressure hit each of the isolated economies in turn, they would each be more likely to collapse than if they were banded together in some fashion.

Ethnographic cases show that in smaller scale societies a strategy of Fission/Fusion was often used to deal with good and bad times. In good times family or band units would break off of a larger tribal unit to go it alone and take advantage of resource abundance , while in bad times they would band back together and share to try and deal with resource scarcity. Of course the modern Kleptocratic state and its attendant economies are linked all the time, but they do emulate a lot of the same principles of sharing risk collectively through other avenues.

So… Did we have a market crash? I mean another one.

Nah, it was just a small dip.